Last week was TruLondon where I ran a track called "Building a Kick Ass mobile site". In this track we discussed and captured what make an awesome mobile site. The truth is most of these ideas would also make a kick ass desktop site!
What did the group miss? Do you have great ideas for a kick ass mobile recruitment site? Can you do better than #TruLondon?
As you read what was discussed ask yourself a key question, "Would this rock on my desktop site as well as mobile?". I am an advocate of mobile first design and believe innovation can be found for all online recruitment by focusing on mobile.
We kicked off chatting around objectives, then discussed experience, followed by discovery and somewhere in the middle chatted about apply. By the end the wall was covered in pink post it stickers.
Here is a summary of was was covered...
Objectives and Aims (in no particular order):
- Extension of business, aligned to core goals and values
- Browser based
- Optimised on all devices and browsers
- Zero / Minimal candidate drop off
- Maximize social for viral affect
Discovery / Candidate Attraction (in no particular order):
- Social media
- Jobs by emai
- Brand awareness - people inputing url directly
- Off line advertising
- Google / Search
- Referrals / Bump
- QR Code
- Campus events
- Electronic Wall Ads (eg London Tube)
Application (in no particular order) :
- One touch apply (like Amazon one click buy)
- Apply with existing online profile eg LinkedIn, Monster, Dropbox
- Social references (who knows the candidate)
- Site could be "self source" data on the candidate and let the candidate select which aspects to include in the application
- Competency test on mobile
Other ideas (in no particular order):
- Show similar jobs
- Show reviews of working for the employer
- A personalised candidate experience with content related to the job - maybe multiple micro sites aimed at different disciplines
- Location aware to improve personalisation
- Location aware content not just jobs
- "People I know who work here"
- Location aware application process specifically thinking of challenges within retail
- Video interview on mobile - hey there is a camera right there
I personally was most excited by how many ideas people had. It was very interesting to discuss at the end how many of these ideas would also make a 'kick ass' desktop career site! It illustrated that considering the new media of smartphone and tablet provides restrictions that drive new innovation.
Harnessed correctly, the restrictions of mobile will improve all online recruitment.